Saturday, October 07, 2006

More considerate toward Pair activities

I had thought when students are to be in pairs, teacher should be more considerate to how to pair. I was sure that pairing a student with the person next to is the best thing for students because most college students take seats with their friends. As a result, we had a lot of male-male pairs and female-female pairs.
But this time I tried to mix gender, I mean, literally Pairing, or male-female. Then I was so surprised that ‘Maximizing interaction’ took place. It seemed that all college students have been waiting for the chance to talk to people of the opposite sex. A male student who is shy and always speaks with little intonation began to speak loud and clear when a female student asked him to speak louder.
Hey! How many times did I tell him “Speak louder”? How many times did I say about the importance of intonation in English?
Anyway, I found out he is not shy. I’m so glad.

Shunichi

1 comment:

yogurt-yuki said...

Hi,Shunichi

Thank you for your finding in "Pair Work." That's interesting and surprising. We teachers must consider "gender" into our classes!