Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Schools

Hi, my friends. Everybody is fine?
Tomorrow my school will start the second semester (because of the system of second semesters).

I want to try something new teaching methods next semester. And Bobby's idea is great!
I'd like to arrange it for my high school students. I should have bought Tim Murphy's books and DVDs at UH.
If possible I want to try to speak English in my classes though my students don't like it. (even in ALT's classes, they are silent. They are typical Japanese students.)

And then I have a question. I want to know American graduate schools. I'm just interested in them. Maybe they are quite different from Japanese graduate schools. Right?
Anytime and anything is OK, so please let me know!

See you,
From yogurt

4 comments:

Bobby said...

Hi Yuki,

I have an experience of taking a couple of graduate courses in American Literature in an American university. The biggest difference between Japanese and American graduate courses is the workload. It's not unusual that you are asked to read a whole book by the next week in America. I never read so much when I was a grad student in Japan.

Bobby

Shunichi-uh said...

So have I. I’ve had some courses of undergraduate and graduate in America. Even in 100s course, (you know 100s are for Freshman) students are requested to read one book and more for the next class. I don’t know every student reads all the material the professor show beforehand but I did. it was really tough but if not, you cannot join a discussion. and then the professor would come to doubt your participation.

Shunichi

yogurt-yuki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yogurt-yuki said...

Dear Bobby and Shunichi,

Thank you for your information about my question. I'm so glad to see them! You're so kind!
Thanks to you, I can imagine American graduate schools're really much harder than Japanese ones.
When I was a high school student (long time ago), though it was a very short time, I went to an American public school as an exchange student. At that time I felt stronly that the styles and attitudes for studying were quite different from Japan.
Now, I've been to UH twice for EFL seminars. They're so impressive and great for me, that made me get interested in American graduate schools. That is why I asked the question.

Thanks to my friends, again. I'm really happy to hear your experiences.

Yogurt-yuki