Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Autonomy and Responsibitily

Thank you for your information, Bobby. I think that recent principles and methodology of TESOL focuses more on student autonomy. If I remember correctly, it was about 20 years ago when “New Innovated Method” like Suggestpedia or Silent Way were praised. Their principles are based on learners-centered and getting rid of learners’ stress as well. It seemed that these methods were the best and ‘like no others’. Although I’ve never tried these methods, I agreed to the point of getting rid of learners’ stress and I introduced the principle into my class.
So where has the stress gone?
It was ‘I’ who undertook all the stress and responsibility for the class. I believed this was the best way and my ideal was that students just only sit and were relaxed in class but finally I became suffering from ‘burnout’.

Thank God! EFL teachers seminar at UH this summer is my turning point. I’m going to transfer autonomy and responsibility onto students in class from now on. Student is not only a customer but also a producer of the class.

Shunichi

No comments: