Monday, September 26, 2005

Let's Change Structural Materials into More Meaningful Tasks

Well, I didn't realize that people come to my site and put links to their own sneaky website. I just had to erase them. I welcome real comments but I don't like mechanical posting of commercial messages to my blog. Well, here are the things I’ve been doing for the past days.

September, 21
I was thinking about how to teach a textbook written for STEP test. This type of textbook is arranged in the order of testing patterns. For example, vocabulary quizzes in short sentences come first, vocabulary quizzes in long paragraphs come second, reading comprehension quizzes come third, and listening comprehension quizzes come last. I thought that students will learn more eagerly. if we could change the arrangement into something more meaningful. So I decided to choose the elements of vocabulary and grammar from each unit and change them into tasks.
September, 22
Three important principles to plan classroom tasks that I am preparing for the STEP textbook:
1. The task has to be open to all the students.
2. The task should be arranged in the order of daily routine.
3. Write or have students write stories or skits using the expressions contained in the textbook.
(On this day, I read some Batman comic books in my spare time.)
September, 23
National holiday ( the Autumn Equinox ). With my wife and children, I went to see my parents. I enjoyed mother’s dishes. Ohagi (rice cake and sweet azuki) is the special dish of this day.
September,24
I spent my morning for cleaning up windows, garage, and front porch. In the afternoon, I went to a toy store with younger daughter and bought a video of Kim Possible movie. The vocabulary was sometimes difficult in the video.
September, 25
We went to holy communion in the morning. I was just hanging around at home in the afternoon. We went to eat Japanese style Chinese restaurant in the evening.
September,26
Bought a firewire cable to connect my new Victor video camera and computer. I transferred the movie clip from the video camera to iBook using iMovie.

No comments: