Tuesday, September 20, 2005

We must not Hate and Enjoy Hating

I guess it’s natural that parents spend a lot of time and energy for raising children. But when your children start turning their back to you, you will be upset, and, a few moments later, try to reach your children's heart. In my case, last weekend was such an opportunity. On Saturday, I went to my children’s elementary school. I did some class observation with other parents and helped cleaning the classrooms. We were both very tired after school. Then, I had an argument with my elder daughter. At the base of the quarrel, there seemed to be some other things but the direct cause of argument was about her manner at the table. You know, young children are looking for opportunities to be independent but they don't really know how to behave politely. I am sure I was like her when I was in her age. I was vulnerable and never understood why my parents said I was selfish about something that I cannot recall now. Parents forgive children but they want their children to know that it's important to listen to adult's advice and stop being upset. "In essence," I told my daughter, "you have to read Mere Christianity looking for an advice. C.S. Lewis says, '…we must not hate and enjoy hating. We may punish if necessary, but we must not enjoy it.' I hope you understand and follow Lewis's advice."

No comments: